Ultimate Music Festival Trip
After the amazing results from our Round the World contest we decided to run another in-house competition, this time aimed towards music and travel fans. The goal was to find the cheapest flight to 5 of the best music festivals in 5 different cities around the world in 2013.
5 Festivals, 6 Weeks, 3 Continents
- Glastonbury - London, United Kingdom - June 26 to 30
- Roskilde - Copenhagen, Denmark - July 4 to 7
- Benicassim - Barcelona, Spain - July 18 to 21
- Fuji Rock - Tokyo, Japan - July 26 to 28
- Lollapalooza - Chicago, USA - August 2 to 4
- Travel for 6 weeks to the 5 different cities for each festival
- All flights to be available for 2 people with 1 checked bag
- Arrive and depart at least one day each side of the festival
- Depart and end in New York
The Result: $1,777
The winning expert found all flights for just US$1,777 (inclusive of all taxes and surcharges). This is much cheaper than what we (the Flightfox team) had guessed, which was about $2,500.
The few negatives of the itinerary are a 5 hour stopover in Dusseldorf on the way to London, and a 15 hour stopover in Dusseldorf on the way to Chicago. The positives are firstly the price, but also the majority of flights only stop once for an average of 2 hours, and airlines include Air Berlin, British Airways, Delta and Lufthansa.
All flight details are at this bottom of this post, or to see the prices that other experts found, check out the contest here: Music Festival Contest.
The Music + Accom: $1,800
The flights are only one part of the whole package though, based on 2012 prices this is what we have estimated the tickets to be.
- Glastonbury = $350 - cost of camping site included
- Roskilde = $310 - cost of camping site included
- Benicassim = $200 - cost of camping site included
- Fuji Rock = $600 - cost of camping site included
- Lollapalooza = $340 - average cost of hostel included
- Total for all tickets = US$1,800
The Total: $3,577
Who would have thought that the cost of international flights visiting 3 continents, would be less than the cost of 5 festival tickets?!
So the total cost to visit 5 of the best music festivals around the world comes to approx $3,600, a tent and 6 delicious weeks off work! Who's up for it?
Read About the Festivals
- Ultra Music Festival - South Korea - March 22 to 24
- Byron Bay Blues Fest - Byron Bay, Australia - March 28 to April 1
- Coachella - Indio CA, USA - April 12 to 14, April 19 to 21
- Sasquatch - Seattle WA, USA - May 24 to 27
- Bonnaroo - Manchester TN, USA - June 13 to 16
- Soundwave - Tisno, Croatia - July 19 to 24
- Outside Lands - San Francisco, USA - August 9 to 11
Flightfox is a new breed of corporate travel manager. We combine technology with human expertise to help your team travel better than ever for less.Get Started!